Monday, May 13, 2019

Motor Heaven


If you have tools, one thing is for sure... they're eventually going to break down. 

No matter how much you keep up with normal maintenance, parts wear out or fail. That's just the way it is, if you work with motors and pulleys and belts and fan blades.

So when a few motors in the shop started sputtering and whining, I knew I needed some professional help. I went to my usual motor guy, but unfortunately ... he couldn't perform the repairs I needed.  He's been around a long time, and has probably worked on motors longer than I've been alive. But I think he's got one foot out the retirement door, and just couldn't seem to perform the repairs. 

So he sent me to another motor shop in town - who knew that one town could have two motor repair places that have been in business for 60+ years?

Walking into Carlson Electric is like walking back in time. 


The front counter greets you with a bunch of signs, obviously relics of past issues they've had with other customers. I guess if you've been around that long, you're bound to have had some issues.



Honestly, I had the feeling that Woodie, the owner, has probably forgotten more about motors than most have ever learned. 

The best thing is that they have so many spare parts, scrapped from old motors, that just about any type of repair can be made.

 Pulleys? No problem.


 I'm not even sure what these are called - motor ends? 

Either way, there are a buttload of them - in every size and shape imaginable. Seriously, it's like a graveyard for motor parts. 


It's hard to take it all in. 


My repair was performed while I waited, with spare parts.  $25. I even got to watch the repair being made, until Woodie caught me in the back repair area, cussed me out and made me wait up front. 

Yeah, yeah, I get it... insurance regulations and all....

The bottom line is - I've found my new repair shop in town. 

And if you're ever in need of a good motor repair shop, I highly recommend them. Sure, Woodie can be a little gruff (read some of the Yelp reviews to understand what I mean), but he's one of the best in town.  He's who you want repairing your gear.


1 comment:

John Frame said...


Wow, I have not been in there in years. I thought he was gone. Drove by 7 or 8 years ago in need of some work, and it was all closed up. Very happy to see it open. I really thought that was the only place to go for electric motor repair work. My 1st visit there was way back in the mid 1970s with my dad. And it had that feel like it had been there forever back then.