Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Glowforge has arrived...

Think back to 2016. 

July 4th, to be exact. 

Do you remember where you were, or what you were doing? (Besides watching fireworks, of course!)

Way back on the Fourth of July, 2016 - I ordered a Glowforge Pro unit.  You can watch a video on it here.

It took over a year and a half to get it, and there were times when I'd read message boards where people wondered if the machines were ever going to ship, or if the whole company was a sham.  But slowly, they started shipping, and as new owners fired them up and started cutting their first pieces, the internet lit up with excitement. 

My "day" came a few weeks ago. 

I'd received an email, announcing its imminent arrival, with tracking numbers for all the boxes heading my way. As a way of thanking buyers for their patience, Glowforge threw in a lot of goodies, including extra materials, extended warranties, and more. 

And then... the boxes started to arrive.



Their website has perfect instructions for unpacking the machine, and its set-up was so simple, even a kid could handle it. 


Pop the handles off, 


lift out the foam padding, 




and open the lid and remove even more padding. 





The crumb tray and vent hose were the last two parts of the puzzle, and I was ready to start cutting. 



Within minutes, it was connected to my computer, and recognized the piece of Baltic Birch plywood I'd inserted. 


Glowforge offers all sorts of files for people to start with; I chose the Founder's Ruler. 


Four minutes later, I had my first creation - and I have to say - my DVR is more difficult to use than this machine!


Here's a video - I can't wait to spend some time coming up with new creations!




No comments: