Saturday, February 02, 2013

Just. Be. Creative.

Can I go off on a little bit of a rant here? 

(No, not about how this blog post looks different. Blogger has acting up lately, and I don't have the patience to look on the support boards and get rid of this funny looking highlighted text.)

As I was poking around, looking at some of the various sites, I found this link to a Cutting Board Kit that WoodCraft sells for $29.99.

I know that common marketing wisdom says that the average consumer feels that $29.99 is a bargain compared to $30. But when I see something prices like that, I feel as if the company thinks I'm stupid. You know what - just charge $30 and don't treat your customers like they're idiots. 

We're not. 


But (almost) the bigger issue is - their kits are pretty darn ugly. It appears as if every piece of wood is the same thickness, which is visually boring to me. 







What?!? 

Their finished cutting board dimensions are 11-3/4" x 12" x 1-1/2"?

When we make ours - we start with 20" strips. Even with some trimming to square up the ends, we usually end up with a board that's at least 18" long. And with a lot more variety of species, and contrast. 

OK, I'm done. 

Do me a favor - if you want to make a cutting board, find a local lumberyard and go visit them. Buy your own stock. Cut up the wood yourself (it's good practice!) and create something out of the ordinary. 

Inlay some plugs,


 or rout a handle into it. 


Anything. 



Just. 

Be.

Creative.


No comments: