Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Race to the finish
There's an old Hoyt Axton song that just about sums up my week.
The chorus asks - Work your fingers to the bone - whadda ya get?
It took about six hours to detail and sand this piece. I'm sure at some point I'll be able to bend my right thumb normally again.
I did a few experiments with oil on some scrap wood, and decided the oil didn't make the carved area pop enough. This may sound crazy, but when I'm building a piece, I really do have a vision of it in my head. The hard part is sometimes getting the finished product to match my vision.
I kept seeing muted neutral colors, and decided that MilkPaint was the way to go. I'd already used it on the carved lettering, and I liked the cohesiveness of using the came color on both the head and foot boards.
There was a little bit of the custom mixed Milkpaint left over, so I added a bit of water to it, to thin it down a bit. Here is some of it painted quite heavily on a scrap of wood.
Once it dried, I sanded it lightly, so the grain would show through.
Yup, that is exactly what I wanted!
The area to be painted was masked off with rubber cement
and then painting commenced.
There was a brief moment of wondering if I had enough paint to do the whole thing! Damn, I hate that!
The last time I made a bed, it was a three day project. This one has taken a bit longer than that; I'll be really happy when it's finished.
I'll be even happier when can bend my thumb again!