Saturday, April 28, 2012

My 2012 Gardening update


It is amazing how quickly things start growing here in the desert, especially after a little rain.

The roma and cherry tomatoes are going to ripen any day now. Last summer, the tomato crop was poor - this year? Wow.


These peppers went from this


to this


to (finally) this.



My buddy AJ loaned me a book on desert gardening, and it recommended that I thin out the nectarine tree. So I picked 50% of the fruit from the tree - which still left a lot of jewels on the branches.


This is the first time I've tried growing lettuce - and these three plants did so well,


I planted three more varieties.


Grow your own spring mix? Totally awesome!


Come July, I may be sorry I put in several zucchini plants.



But the bitter sweet story of the season is about the artichokes. They're growing like weeds, almost too many to count -

but are infested with aphids. I spray the plants with Neem every other day, but the aphids are winning.


The tip about spraying your aphids with soapy water is a joke - they just hop right back onto the leaves when you turn your back.

@#$%&*!


I am not sure what is worse - letting the aphids have their way with the plants, or eating an insecticide laden artichoke.

Ever had success with Safer soap? Me, neither.

I'm close to chopping them all down; aphids are just disgusting. Way worse than hornworms, and you know how nasty those bad boys are.






Finally - speaking of growing like a weed - check out Stella's summer cut. She went wearing from this mop


to this.

I love our groomer, MJ.

Hard to believe this is the same girl!


Here is a little classic Stella moment for you...





1 comment:

Vegas Lupe said...

You have a very, very nice garden, Jamie! To hell with the aphids, though...I hate those. Last year, after a few windstorms, we had an aphid infestation all over our roses. A landscaper friend told me about Sevin. This year, before we left town for a couple of weeks, I sprayed all our roses with it as a preventative, since we were not going to be here to monitor them. Guess what? No stinking aphids upon our return. Hah!! :-D

Have not tried that stuff on veggies, though. There are mixed opinions about it in gardening websites.

I am in love with Stella, though...She looks so cute after her haircut...And she can be as temperamental as her mom! ;-)

See you around!