Saturday, April 23, 2011

Springtime, 2011 - A Garden Tour

How can you not be inspired by Spring? There are so many plants exploding in the yard, it's amazing. Shoots that were barely inches tall a month ago have sprouted up into bursts of color, and frankly - seeing everything go crazy sends me into hyperdrive. As if I need that.

The artichokes are starting to pop up.


These are amazing plants - why did I never plant these before? These are about the size of a lemon, right now.


On the other hand, the eggplant is developing a little more slowly.


Lots of new growth, the hummingbirds love these yucca shoots.


And the new growth on the cactus is so interesting to watch. It's as if something is hatching right out of the plant. That sculpture on the right is a Deirdre Logue
piece - an amazing potter who I met years ago, at Kent State.



You know Ruthie is only thinking about one thing, however. And it's not the zucchini.


This is one happy parsley patch.


And the basil, whose leaves will be the size of the palm of my hand in just a few months, contains the most incredible shades of green.


There may be a bit of a problem down the line with the zucchini. The nursery didn't have individual plants; they were out of them. So I bought a flat. Now every one I planted is starting to flower and grow like crazy. Yes, I love zucchini, but I may have gone a little overboard here. Here are three different plants, all very happy and doing their jobs.




Meanwhile, Springtime usually pushes my ceramic buttons, so I've been working up a storm, playing with clay. Here are some dinner plates, fresh from their bisque-fire.


And here is one of those plates, glazed and cooling in the kiln.


Potsticker platters are one of the most popular pieces I make, I can never seem to get ahead of the demand for them. Here is a lovely set I listed on Etsy this week.


I hope your garden is doing well, and you're enjoying the season. It's pretty amazing here.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

Jamie,

That Potsticker set you made is amazingly beautiful. You are so talented!