Friday, December 04, 2009

Winter gardening


Here's a little glimpse of my Friday morning. I've been spending way too much time in the woodshop lately, so I thought I'd work in the garden today.

Last night, we finally had some cold weather. Cold enough to freeze the last fruit and vegetables that are still on the ground. So when I went outside this morning, the first thing I saw was a wilted, lifeless eggplant vine.


Of course, I had a "crew" to help me cut the plant down.



There's nothing better than sliced eggplant, drizzled with olive oil and grilled. Toss it with some feta or layer it on pizza, it's fabulous.


Looks like I've got my work cut out for me on the grill.



About a third of the eggplant were a sick, golden color.
If anyone knows what causes that, could you let me know? After cutting down most of the plant, I raked up the layer of dead leaves.

Ruthie ended up with a beard full of leaves.





After the eggplant, I turned my attention to to the citrus trees. The oranges were perfect.



So were the limes.


One of the limes rolled across the brick pavers, which of course, made Stella think we were playing catch with them. Here she is, looking remorseful, after sinking her teeth into one of them.






The grapefruit were looking gorgeous, too.



We're ready to play, mama.



The last plants left are the artichokes. Who said you can't grow artichokes in the desert? I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do with them for the winter. Leave them as they are, or cut them back? I've searched a few gardening
sites, but can't find any information.

Any ideas?

Back to the sawdust in the morning!



No comments: